I happened to see one of the touching and inspiring movies Tare Zameen Par last day.Suddenly I got the thought of writing on the main villain of the story Dyslexia.I surfed through the internet about the disease.I will give a brief description of the information I got.
Dyslexia is sometimes referred to as a Language-Based Learning Disability which affects the ability to learn to read and spell.It can also affect short-term memory and speed of recalling names.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Reads slowly
- Experiences decoding errors, especially with the order of letters
- Shows wide disparity between listening comprehension and reading comprehension of some text.
- Has trouble with spelling
- May have difficulty with handwriting
- Exhibits difficulty recalling known words
- Has difficulty with written language
- May experience difficulty with math computations
- Genes and heredity: Dyslexia often runs in families.If a child has Dyslexia,one of his family members might had it before.
- Brain anatomy: The structure of brain of dyslexic people may look different from others.
- Brain activity: In a dyslexic person,the areas of our brains responsible for language skills work in an unpredictable way.
Conditions are related to dyslexia:
- ADHD(Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder): It can make it difficult to stay focused during reading and other activities.
- Auditory processing disorder : It affects kid’s ability to sort through the sounds they hear. They may struggle to understand what people are saying. Reading can also be tough for them.Kids with auditory processing disorder often have trouble recognizing the difference between letters like b and d and sounding out new words.
- Visual processing issues: Difficulty to see the difference between letters or shapes. Kids with visual processing issues may complain of blurry vision or of letters “hopping around on the page.” They may try to compensate by squinting or closing one eye. They often reverse letters when writing and struggle to stay within the lines.
- Dysgraphia : It can affect children’s ability to write and spell. It can also make it hard to organize their thoughts on paper. Many kids with dysgraphia also have dyslexia.
- Dyscalculia : Difficulty to do math. Trouble in learning to count .
- Executive functioning issues : It can affect children’s ability to organize and stay on task. Kids with weak executive functioning skills may struggle with reading comprehension.
The movie Tare zameen par (2007) clearly portraits the life and thoughts of a dyslexic child.A teacher of his school understood this difficulty of him and tries to help him with his studies and behavioral pattern.It is really an inspiring and touching story.There are many famous personalities identified with dyslexia like Albert Einstein,Pierre Curie,Steven Spielberg,Leonardo da Vinci and the list goes on.People with dyslexia are often very creative. They can understand complex ideas.They just need more time to process the information.They may have great talents and abilities hidden inside them.We need to understand their difficulty and help them with atmost care.